5S – If you decide to do it then DO IT RIGHT to Achieve the BEST
The whole shop floor has woke up on visit of top management person. Plant head is looking after each and every details of 5S. He is keen to meet all commitments what he made to HIM on HIS early visit. Extra manpower has employed to carry the extra effort of cleaning. Admin is just behind the housekeeping supervisor and taking him right and left for not meeting the company’s expectation.
AND YES….FINALLY THE SHOP-FLOOR SHINES….AND ALL WILL KEEP THE SHINE TILL HIS VISIT !!! ALL WANTED AND UNWANTED MATERIALS WHAT WAS DUMPED ON SHOP-FLOOR HAVE BEEN DUMPED IN SOMEWHERE ELSE FOR THE TIME BEING!!
This is the most common picture in most of the small and middle size company, but Is it 5S ? They too know that it is not. Then why so ? On asks, answers are more like
1. no effort from upper management,
2. lower management strength are not sufficient to do the 5S job (They are not even enough to do regular job!!).
3. Production pressure is more and so have no time to do 5S.
BUT inner-lying of these superficial excuses are that ,
1. The leaders does not have idea about 5S benefits, Why it is and how to achieve it. If so,
2. They are not serious enough to achieve it.
AND whole the activity got less priority !! than other
As a result, 5S !!! means Swiping out irrespective of requirement to look shop-floor beautiful and is TOP driven !! heart less activity….nothing but a SHOW game.
Basics of 5S (Not require Still details are bellow to ref. )
1S – Sorting (Seiri)
Eliminate all unnecessary tools, parts, instructions. Go through all tools, materials, etc., in the plant and work area. Keep only essential items. Everything else is stored or discarded.
2S – Straightening or Setting in Order / stabilize (Seiton)
There should be a place for everything and everything should be in its place.
3S – Sweeping or Shining or Cleanliness / Systematic Cleaning (Seiso)
Keep the workplace tidy and organized. At the end of each shift, clean the work area and be sure everything is restored to its place.
4S – Standardizing (Seiketsu)
Work practices should be consistent and standardized. Everyone should know exactly what his or her responsibilities are for adhering to the first 3 S’s.
5S – Sustaining the discipline Or Self Discipline (Shitsuke)
Maintain and review standards. Once the previous 4 S’s have been established, they become the new way to operate. Maintain focus on this new way and do not allow a gradual decline back to the old ways.
To achieve the 5S goal,
1. We need to organise in team and small zone. A clear road-map need to be establish by clear mentioning that where we are , where we need to go and what Resources and help will be require from higher management
2. All steps should be clear with deliverable and time line.
3. Sorting of require and non-require item is a big task in initial days. it is better to learn with time and “if in doubt, through it out” attitude.
4. Periodic audit with and without notice by higher management and 5s driving team. It will help to sustain the standards and improve the standard.
5. All non-conformity will be tagged with responsible for tag removal and date. (Red tag and white tag activity)
6.Tag removal date to be realistic and non compromisable.
7. All points what are not meeting standard should be discussed in common forum and require aid to be supplied in minimum time.
8. Motivation is very important. Be innovative to motivate the work force
9. Start 5S from toilet and canteen, both the place have indirect or no control of shop-floor persons. So,it shows management’s own interest on change.
10. combat with causes of dust and dirt with 1st priority
11. Treat defects, leakage and breakage
12. Policy of “One-is-best”
– one set of tools/stationery
– one page form/memo
– one day processing
– one stop service for customer
– one location file
BUT the most important is, Upper management wants 5S and grass-root level follow the orders. Main obstacle is middle management. they are the main responsible for success and failure of TPM. They should come in common platform and be agreed that they need 5S and vision is require to achieve the same. It can be done by training, visit to better 5S achieving companies.
But why it is first priority for TPM and LEAN!
1. A MESSY SHOP-FLOOR HIDES THE PROBLEMS, TO MAKE IT VISIBLE FIRST ORGANISE IT.
2. IT REDUCES SEARCH TIME.
3. IT CREATES BETTER WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND THUS BETTER PRODUCTIVITY.
4. TO FREE UP WORK PLACE.
5. IT REDUCES COST.
6. IT AVOIDS ACCIDENT.
7. IT SHOWS THE ATTENTION POINTS (WEEK POINTS FOR IMPROVEMENTS).
Bellow Pic :All is Well !! Don’t replace or repair, until unless you take actions on the CAUSE.
– Transparency ( e.g. glass covers for see-through)
Inspection “OK” marks or labels
Danger zones marked on meters and switches
‘Danger’ warning signs and marks
Fire extinguisher and ‘Exit’ signs
Directional markings on pipes, gangways etc
Open and shut directional labels on switches etc
Co lour-coded pipes
The Pic: It’s an classy example of messy control panel. there is no limit of what the best you can achieve but whatever you will achieve will be momentary until unless you provide proper documentation available in panel, training and DON’T ACCEPT ANYTHING BELLOW THE STANDARD.
If you decide to do it then DO IT RIGHT
Anything bellow standard is SCOPE OF IMPROVEMENT.
-- End of this Post --
Companies are used to grow by their expanding sales turnover and new ventures. Its require to invest on capital equipments to achieve the hi...
Predictive maintenance (PdM) or condition based maintenance (CBM) is to monitor predefine parameters over the time and predict it’s failur...